Tuesday, June 14, 2016

2016-06-14: Social Media Intern Abigail Hartley Makes Glorious Return to Ai Blog


Me, wearing my LaRC Ai shirt for good luck in an engineering class this spring (it worked).

Hello, adoring public. It's me. After spending the year finishing my degree in English at Dartmouth College, I'm back for Summer 2016 and ready to knock America's star-spangled socks off with the amazing work the Autonomy Incubator (Ai) is cranking out here at NASA Langley.

I am so excited to be writing for the Ai again this summer, y'all. Many of the people I loved last year are back, the new interns are starting incredible new projects that I can't wait to share with you, and Kastan— our new videographer intern— is already editing gorgeous videos for this blog as I sit here writing. My goal for the next few months is to keep you updated on our latest breakthroughs and events, while explaining the technology in a way the average, non-engineer American can understand. I had no exposure to robots, high level math, or C++ before I took this job, so I figure if I write about a concept in a way that I can understand, then you can understand it too.

Autonomous UAVs are the future, and the Ai is constantly expanding the horizon of possibility for them. We're not just making the software more robust and the machinery hardier; we're taking what we develop and finding ways to integrate autonomous robots into everyday life. I get jazzed up just thinking about it. You should bookmark this page so you stay constantly updated on what new miracles of science we've willed into being. Today is just my first day, and I can already tell you that the next ten weeks are going to be spectacular.

Ultimately, I just want everyone to know what the Ai is doing. The work we're producing is important and relevant and really, really cool. My job is to connect you with the people (and robots) at the Ai so that you can get involved with the amazing stuff we do here every day.

In the spirit of getting involved, why not follow the Ai on Twitter and Instagram? We have a new member of the social media team, Anicca Harriot, running our short-form content. Trust me, you don't want to miss her.

No comments:

Post a Comment